When we bought the house, it had been freshly "neutralized" with off white paint, though it honestly looked primed rather than painted white, and since we were in a time crunch, so we decided to forgo priming ourselves and just painted over what was there. We used Valspar Ultra Premium interior paint, satin finish (easier to clean, this being the bedroom of a second-grader). Using a level, tape measure and painter's tape, we divided the top and bottom of the room where we wanted to divide the two colors, Rose Dust 1002-1B (top) and Tangerine 2004-1B (bottom). The floor plan of this bedroom was such that it made sense to stop dividing at the point of the bathroom and the closet, and paint that section all in the Rose Dust color. These being bold colors, we did three coats of each, but probably could have gotten away with two. After the paint had dried thoroughly, we removed the painter's tape and installed prefinished white moulding in its place. I waited over three weeks to put up the wall decals, as I intended on putting the wall decals on the walls and wanted to give the paint time to cure. Once I had some of the wall stickers on the walls, though, I decided they would look even better on the ceiling, and the walls in the bathroom were left white, so as it turned out, I wouldn't have had to wait those three weeks after all, but oh, well. The finished results thrilled my daughter and I was pretty satisfied myself!